Articles for SSC, JSC, HSC & DEGREE 2015
In this page you will learn the easy and simple rules for using article in your every day English and in the exam paper. As title suggests, this rules are universal and applicable to SSC to Degree English. Let’s read the details:
JSC, SSC , HSC and Degree Articles 2015
General Tips on Article:
This is a very simplified version of worksheet as well as rules on the grammatical use of Articles. You can certainly secure 5 out of 5 if you know the following rules of using A, an, the , & zero articles. Further, this will enable you to master Article for JSC SSC, HSC , & Degree English as well.
Definitions of Article
A, An, and The are called Articles.
2 Types: 1. Indefinite Article: A, An
- Definite Article: The
Uses of A and An:
- Before a consonant A and before a vowel An. ____ Computer. _____ Orange. ……..car. ……………dictionary. ………..book. ……………elephant…………..ideal man. …………. good boy.
- If H is ha = a, If H is a = an. _______ Hour.______ honest man.
- If U is U = a, If U is a = an. ______ union. ______umbrella. _______unit. ______uncle.
- One = a, otherwise an. _____one way road. _____orange. _____one taka note.
- For abbreviations A/An = as per the pronunciation of the first vowel sound.___ MA. ____BA.
- A dozen / hundred / thousand / million books.
- A number of/ a lot of/ a few/ a little /a good deal (of)/a good many/ a great many/ an amount of
- Such a/an + (adj) + noun = Such ______ gentle man
More examples for A and An
Half a/an + (adj) + noun = Half ____ hour.
What a/an + (adj) + noun = What ____ nice pen!
Quite a/an + (adj) + noun = Quite ____ large fish.
Many a/an + (adj) + noun = Many _____ students.
Rather a/an + (adj) + noun = Rather ____ difficult question.
- So + adj + a/an + noun = so nice ____ pen.
Too + adj + a/an + noun = too difficult _____ job.
- To refer to someone’s profession A/An = He is ______doctor. She is _______nurse.
Uses of The as definite article
- To refer to something or somebody definite = ____cow; ______bird.
- (Familiar The) to refer to a noun used earlier = I found a gold coin but ____ coin was too old. I bought a pen but ___ pen did not write well.
- Cardinal number= One, Two , Three etc.
Ordinal number = First, Second, Third etc.
Before an ordinal number = ____ first boy. _____ eighth place.____56th birthday.
- Before superlative degree = ____ best player. ______ highest score. ____ largest continent.
- Comparative as adverbs = ____more, _____merrier. ___ more you read , ___ more you learn.
- To denote a national name with a plural sense = ______ English. _____French.___ Chinese.
- Adjective referring to a whole class of people = _____poor. ____ rich. ____ brave.
- The + Noun + of = ____ name of our college. _____ importance of learning English.
- Nouns referring to only one thing = ____ sun.____moon.____sky.
- Singular common noun = ____ cow is a useful animal. ______ dog is a dangerous animal.
- Musical instruments = ______ guitar, _______ piano, ____ concertina. _____ Harmonium.
- Names of rivers / Mountain ranges / gulfs / newspapers / Plural country names/ Holy books / noted public places / important events= ____padma.______Meghna._____Ganges______Black Sea. _____ Persian Gulf. _____ Himalayas. ______Quran. _____ Bible._____ Daily Star. ____ Ittefaq._____ High Court. _____ Press Club. ______ Secretariate. ____ French Revolution.
- Often before date = _____15th of May._____10th of November. December____4th. ____1st of March. August ____16th.
Omission of Article (×)
- Adjective ______Noun = (×) good____ boy. Nice ____ pen. Easy ___answer.
- My, his, her, your, our, their, its ____ noun = (×). My___car. Their ____book.
- _____ Proper noun= (×). ______Karim. ______Dhaka.____Shakespear.
_____Material noun = (×)______gold._____honey.
_____Abstract noun = (×)_____education._____love._____beauty.
_____uncountable noun = (×)_____water.______sugar.
____Plural common nouns = (×). ____dogs bark. ____cows eat grass.
But when they are particularized, we can use the. The Shakespear of Dhaka. The honey that I bought. The sugar of India.
The beauty of Bipasha. Etc.
- ______language = (×). ____English._____Bangla._____Arabic.
- ___ season, festivals = (×) .___Christmas. ___Eid-ul-Fitre.___Durga Puza.
For a better understanding of the content, you can contact with us.